Monday, October 20, 2008

Experience Matters?

Here we sit 15 days before the 2008 election and the political 'analysts' continue to push the 'Sarah Palin is not qualified to be President' message and to a large degree they are correct. She has not been truly tested on the international stage and voters should be informed and concerned. However, the last time I checked she was running for the office of Vice President. Yes, a heartbeat away ... but let's keep the facts straight. Where is the honesty in the reporting of the other side? What qualifies Barack Obama to be President? Other than the now famous quote from former President Bill Clinton 'he is 35 years of age ...', I just don't see it. He has never governed/managed ... ANYTHING. "He is a United States Senator" - so what? What has he done of any real note? Nothing!
What is fair is fair - I just wish the media in this country would be honest in reporting information instead of continuing to try to create it. We just heard Colin Powell come out to support Mr. Obama for President and he cited a few items that should be addressed:
Mr. Powell questions John McCain's judgement in selecting Sarah Palin as a running mate. At the same time condeming Mr. McCain for questing Mr. Obama's judgement with his association with Bill Ayers. If judgement is something that should be considered in the selection of a President (which I think it should) then judgement should be considered from both candidates.
Mr. Powell questions John McCain's ability to find a way through the current economic crisis. What about questioning Barack Obama's connection to those that caused the majority of the current economic crisis?

I have long admired Mr. Powell. His service to his country and to be honest - his ability to influence individuals with his words. I was fortunate enough to hear Mr. Powell speak at a work event and he was captivating. What I admired was not the words he used, it was the way he used them. I do not fall on the support side of many things Mr. Powell advocates, but his ability to move an audience is incredible.
I always look at individuals for what I can take/learn from them. I then try to find ways to make those things I like part of my own being - redefining who I am. Being is sales - I found a lot to like in Mr. Powell.

No comments: