Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Farewell Chuck

It is a sad day for my family as we prepare to say farewell to one of the good ones. Charles E. (Chuck) Gagen was a family friend for well over 25 years, but he was called home Tuesday evening.

I first met Chuck as a teenager and was fascinated by the man. At that time, Chuck was a good bit older than me - and my father. That never seemed to get in the way. Whether it was talking after mass, carrying on with the guys (mostly my dad's friends) or cleaning my clock on the squash court - Chuck was a man among men. I went to school with two of Chuck's children (Terry and Patrick) but I got to know him through the Knights of Columbus. As a child, I was taught manners so I knew him as Mr. Chuck. There was no way around it - Chuck was one of those guys that carried on the practice of the past, that of teaching and enforcing respect, manners, discipline and a deep respect for women.

Chuck helped me grow as a teenager, though he never knew it. I watched, learned, practiced and grew by watching him and the group he was with. That group was indeed a special group (Tim N., Jack S., John C., Dick M. ....) - one that I am proud to have known. It was through that group that Chuck was the first person to announce that I had arrived as a man. Through a meeting with several of the above mentioned, Chuck congratulated me. I turned, shook his hand and said 'Thanks Mr. Chuck.'. He held my hand tight and with that stern voice welcomed me to the club with a 'Drop the mister Dennis, my name is Chuck'. From that point forward - I was one of the guys.

That moment meant more to me than most will ever understand. Why? Because at that moment, I was one of the few - the select - that were responsible for setting the example. I was now part of something much larger than I knew.

Out of respect to Chuck, and several of the other genuine men that have gone before him I wanted to share just a few words. In life - you taught me, encouraged me, counciled me and guided me. In death you remind me, encourage me and motivate me - to be more, to many ... with a purpose.

Let us always remember: we are constantly observed, our faith judged and our order appreciated.

Thank you Chuck! I am a better man for knowing you.

No comments: