Monday, November 17, 2008

Where is the integrity? Loyalty?

I clearly remember the nervousness that I lived with when I was going through the purchase of my first new home. I followed that up several years later when my wife and I decided to 'move back home' and purchase our second new home closer to the in-laws and out-laws. It was very clear, from a financial perspective, what we were up for and I was honestly scared regarding paying it all back. The rules of .28 and .32 were etched in my mind and those numbers seemed way to high. The 28 % of my gross pay could be allocated to paying off my mortgage? And all of my long term debt must fit within 32%.

When I looked at the numbers it was clear that 1) I could not afford much and 2) How was I ever going to be able to spend that much money on those debts. All these years later - I still panic (slightly) when I look at those values - but those numbers are now only mine. The industry has thrown out those 'recommendations' and allowed people to run the numbers way above what could be considered sane. History is prologue.

Today I heard, not that I was completely surprised, that the government is making it easier for those that can't afford their homes. Take a read at the article 'Are you an idiot to keep paying your mortgage?' and tell me what is wrong with this picture. Basically, those of us who care about our word, save for our futures, make wise decisions with taking on obligations are going to support those that can't seem to live within their means.

I understand the way the market turned - I really do. I have lost most of my retirement (401K), but I am not standing on the corner looking for a handout. My loss is my loss - I get that. Why doesn't everyone else need to play by the same rules?

No comments: