Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Appreciation for those that use their talents

I have long been an admirer of those that embrace the talents they are blessed with and use them in productive ways. This is not a long post, but I felt like I needed to write it down.

Whether it be an artist working on a piece of sculpture, a pianist tickling the ivories or an automotive mechanic making my car run better - I truly enjoy watching. I will also say that the inverse is also true - watching someone perform a function that they truly have to work at is a challenge for me. Baking a cake by someone who does not seem to do it naturally is a very difficult experience for me endure.

So, why post now? It is simple - my brother is one of those people that I truly admire. I admire the gifts that God has given him and I admire what he has done with those gifts. Mick has a true gift for carpentry and building things in general. I am constantly amazed at what he is able to do. This was magnified last night when I was looking at my handiwork in building out the basement in my home. On one hand I am proud of what I did - on the other hand I realize that I do not share the same gifts that he has (mine are truly different). The finished product is only one piece of the observation - I really do enjoy watching.

I do this routinely - whether it is a teacher at my children's school that is blessed with the gifts and desire to teach. Several of my co-workers who have a rare gift of observation. My mechanic, my priest ... you name it.

Challenge yourself - find what your true gift is and do it. Challenge yourself again and find someone using theirs .... and just watch.

No comments: