Thursday, January 29, 2009

Look out for the other guy (or girl)

We all find ourselves hurrying around getting from place to place - but take a little time to consider your actions ..... or inactions and the implications of your decisions. This week the atlantic coast was hit with a small ice/snow belt that closed schools and disrupted the normal routines to many of us. I am fortunate to have my car parked in the garage overnight so I understand that I have it a little easier than some. I went to the office every day - even earlier than usual because I had work that needed to be done (physically in the office) and people staying home with their children yielded me the perfect opportunity to get to it.

When I left the office the other day I cleared the windshield, side windows and rear window of my little Volkswagen Jetta. I also cleared the hood, roof and trunk. I have seen the sheets of ice/snow that fly from cars and thought it was the right thing to do. Sure enough, coming home from work yesterday along a very clear an unobstructed Route 32 (right near the State Highway Administration building) I encountered someone who did not take the same steps. You guessed it, a snow/ice sheet from a truck (coming the other way) flew off and soared 15 feet into the air. I was in a flow of cars traveling at about 50 miles per hour and there was no place to go. I held on tight as the ice sheet nailed the roof of my car with a thud. I pulled over as soon as it was safe and found the nice dent in the roof of my car - a mere 2 inches from my windshield.

I said a quick prayer of thanks, that it did not come through the windshield, and then sulked at the thought of my new VW with the dent. Take a read and follow - http://weblogs.marylandweather.com/2009/01/driving_tip_push_the_ice_from.html .

No comments: