Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Un-friend ... a relative

I am somewhat new to the whole social network scene. My boss initially recommended I check out Facebook so I did a little exploring. It is still a little strange to me but I found contacting some old friends, schoolmates and even some work buddies to be interesting. There was another thing that sat their lurking for me. Could I use this to repair a little damage done to an old relationship. We have all had things happen in life that caused a break between friends - could Facebook help to mend the broken fence.

I am referring to a crippled relationship with my sister. You won't find any details about what happened between us - I don't talk out of school. I found her profile and requested her to 'friend me'. I was surprised when she accept my friend invitation. I was able to see her profile - check in to what she had been doing (job, programs her kids are involved in ...). That was good enough for me - at least for a start. I would take my time and when the time seemed right - perhaps I could make more contact with her.

Before I even had the chance to finish reading up on her family happenings something broke. I thought it was just an error here or there that stopped me from connecting to her profile. Then I saw her 'walling' with other friends on line and I realized that it was not a glitch in the system. Nope, it appears that my sister has 'un-friended' me. When I realized what had happened, I did something I probably shouldn't have done - I sent a note to a mutual friend and asked him to say Hi for me. I further stated to him that she didn't talk to me anymore. That was wrong - Sorry John.

What hurt would lie that deep that your own relative would cut all ties with you? It has been several years since we talked. My family has sent birthday cards, left singing birthday wishes on their answering machine and even sent gifts for different occasions to her and her family. I have sent a few emails but the time between them has increased. Not a single message/note/gift has received as much as a 'thank you' or 'got the message' .

I hope she has what she wants and needs. There does not seem to be much more I can do.

No comments: