Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Watching the talent

As I reported in my previous post, I enjoy watching others use their talents and abhor watching someone trying to force their way through something they have not been granted the talent to perform. In just a matter of a few days I was able to watch and then experience up close the use of individual gifts to a the ultimate. This time it was on the field of sports -specifically soccer.

Friday evening I attended the AC Milan vs. Chelsea game and felt that I was watching a canvas being painted. It has been a while since I attended a professional soccer match in person - so this evening was something special. Professional athletes are impressive when they work their craft to its highest form. Yes, watching the individual talent of Ronaldinho was fascinating. However - what I enjoyed the most was watching the collection of athletes working together up and down the field. Not only did they move the ball - but they created a piece of art on the canvas of the pitch. It truly was a thing of beauty.

The second event was more personal but still directly related to one of my favorite sports. The soccer program that I assist in is hosting a high school preparation training camp. The camp is run by one of my heroes as I was playing high school ball - Mike Stankovic . It was a great pleasure to watch Mike work with the kids and meet him as a fan of the game. I was treated to another level of joy when Mike asked me to assist him. This week I am working alongside Mike in teaching, tutoring and training a great group of kids. On the selfish side - I also have been given the opportunity to take the field with Mike and play the game we both love. Mike is wonderfull with the kids. What is more impressive is to watch his love of the game transferred to the kids. He definitely has a gift (he still has it) for the game but he has coupled that with his concern for the youth who also love the game.

Bringing joy (and a good bit of sweat) to the players is an absolute joy to watch ... and participate in.

No comments: